Tsinghua JHU-BME Dual Degree Program
Earn an international master’s education from the world’s top-ranked engineering programs in two years by enrolling in the Tsinghua JHU-BME Dual Degree MS Program. You will:
- Simultaneously earn an MSE degree from Johns Hopkins and an MS from Tsinghua University
- Gain practical skills and knowledge in cutting-edge engineering disciplines
- Receive personalized advising and mentorship from leaders in your field
- Experience other cultures and traditions
- Build international collaborations in academia, medicine, and industry
- Gain a competitive advantage in the international job market
- Become a global leader in biomedical discovery, innovation, and translation
Our program managers will help you transition to life in a new country, providing personalized assistance with housing, transportation, course schedules, and more. All instruction will be completed in English.
Year 1: Johns Hopkins University
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Baltimore/Washington metropolitan area, USA
#1 Graduate Program in BME since 1992 (U.S. News & World Report)
Through hands-on, project-based courses, you will gain in-depth knowledge in a specialized discipline at the forefront of biomedical engineering discovery and innovation. As part of these courses, you will work with the leading engineers, scientists, and clinicians at Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital to build new technologies, create medical devices, make novel discoveries, and solve real-world engineering problems related to human health. Choose a coursework focus area driven by our pioneering research:
- Biomedical Data Science
- Biomedical Imaging & Instrumentation
- Computational Medicine
- Genomics and Systems Biology
- Regenerative and Immune Engineering
Life at Johns Hopkins is about more than earning a degree. Here, you’ll be a part of enduring university traditions and have new experiences that you’ll remember for a lifetime.
- Learn more about campus life at Johns Hopkins University
- Learn more about Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
Year 2: Tsinghua University
Founded in 1911, Tsinghua University is a unique and comprehensive university that encompasses the arts and sciences. It is among the top research universities in the world, and has fostered many outstanding scholars, entrepreneurs, and statesmen. In 2017, over 3,500 international students from more than 128 countries were enrolled at Tsinghua University, creating a truly cross-cultural experience. Tsinghua offers its students a superior learning environment consisting of one main library, six subject libraries, over 300 classrooms, and more than 300 laboratories and research institutes. Student life at Tsinghua extends far beyond academic courses. Athletics, performing arts, a vast array of clubs and societies, and diverse social activities not only complement a student’s studies, but also offer wonderful opportunities for friendship and learning.
During your second year, build upon your knowledge by pursuing thesis research related to your focus area in the Biomedical Engineering or Electronic Engineering departments at Tsinghua University. Under the mentorship of China’s leading researchers and engineers, you will apply engineering principles to answer important biomedical problems and translate your findings into new applications.
Learn more about:
- Student life at Tsinghua
- Life in Beijing
- Tsinghua faculty and their research
- Campus life for international students
- Personal statement: please provide a maximum two-page overview of your academic goals, career objectives, and research interests.
- Recommendations: two letters of recommendation are required. At least one letter of recommendation must be from a faculty member who is familiar with the applicant’s academic record.
- Transcripts: an unofficial transcript is accepted for application. If the applicant is selected for admission, official transcript is required at registration. The final official transcript must list the degree earned, or a certificate of graduation is required.
- TOEFL (The Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required.
- Additional documents/evaluation: Candidates who wish to have their papers, abstracts, talks, portfolios, etc. reviewed can included these materials as well.
To apply, visit the Johns Hopkins Graduate Admissions page.
You may also apply online through Tsinghua University. Please contact administrative director Juan Huang, PhD for more information about the Tsinghua JHU-BME Dual Degree MS Program. For additional questions about the Johns Hopkins MSE degree program, please contact program manager Sam Bourne.