Please contact [email protected] to report any problem or concern with departmental offices, facilities, or central equipment that may need attention. Our team will triage and refer all reported problems to the appropriate units.
Faculty, staff, and students should contact [email protected] for general administrative support for things such as:
- Event and catering assistance
- SOM keys to offices and labs
- ID card swipe access to BME areas
- Parking passes for visitors
- BME seminar series
- Outgoing packages related to University Business – senders must pack item, deliver it to administrative suite, and provide cost center or internal order number. The package will be sent by FedEx.
Please contact Lindsay Carroll for assistance with faculty affairs such as:
- BME faculty appointments: primary tenure-line, teaching faculty, research faculty, research associates (SOM), research scientists and engineers (WSE), adjunct faculty, secondary appointments, and joint appointments
- BME faculty evaluation support materials collection
- BME faculty promotions
- BME faculty search coordination
- Visit Research Administration Offices at JHU for information on:
- Pre-award team is led by Tiffany Johnson (Grants and Contracts Manager), and consists of Deon Grant (Sr. Grants and Contracts Analyst) and Heather Lockard-Wheeler (Grants and Contracts Analyst). Their functions include:
- Proposal submission
- Award transfers
- Just-in-time requests
- Post-award team is led by Christina Knieriem (Financial Manager) and consists of Charles Scribner (Sr. Financial Analyst). Their functions include:
- Quarterly financial portfolio reviews and account balances
- Budget and expense reconciliations
All JHU reimbursement requests must also comply with the University Travel Guide Policies & Procedures or other applicable policies.
BME reimbursements follow the 90-day rule:
- Rule of thumb is 30-30-30 for reimbursements. Individual submits expenses within 30 days from transaction date, internal review and corrections process may occur during the subsequent 30 days, and JHU accounts payable may then ensure payment to individual via check or direct deposit within the next 30 days.
- After 90 days have passed, the request will be paid to the traveler as a payroll supplement instead of a reimbursement, and will be subject to taxes.
- Keep and retain all itemized receipts and proof of payment.
- Keep track of participants when hosting business meals or events.
- Alcohol is not reimbursable on grants.
- Travelers must adhere to Fly America Act when traveling on grants.
- Travelers should receive approval from their PI prior to incurring an expense.
- Expenses are submitted via SAP Concur.
Travel direct bill payments
- Requests may be sent to [email protected]
- Contact your supervisor/mentor/advisor to obtain written authorization to travel and a project account number (IO or CC). Route authorization to the department.
- Provide a succinct business travel along with conference/workshop/meeting link or invitation letter in the event of speaking engagements.
- The team will connect you with the travel agent.
- JHU Policies
- WSE Financial and Administrative Policies
- Tax Exempt Certificate for Maryland. JHU is a non-profit organization, and therefore, is exempt from paying sales tax. If purchases are made with personal funds, sales tax will not be reimbursed to you. The one exception to this is that restaurant meals are subject to sales tax and you will be reimbursed for food and drink. Presenting the Tax Exempt certificate at the time of purchase will eliminate sales tax from your bill, in most cases.
New hire checklist is required to hire postdocs, staff, and students.
For assistance with supply orders, vendor payments, shopping carts/purchase orders, please contact [email protected] and provide:
- Budget account number and PI approval
- Business purpose for the order
- Company name
- Item number(s), or web link(s) to item(s)
- Purchase of products and services greater than $3,000 will require three independent competitive bids/quotes or a Sole Source Justification in order for a purchase order to be submitted in SAP.
Packing slips must be scanned by the recipient and emailed to [email protected]. Federal and JHU auditing policies require that we collect packing slips as proof that the item was received. Failure to properly retain and submit packing slips will result in the loss of ordering privileges.