Julia Massimelli Sewall is a senior lecturer in the Department of Biomedical Engineering where she serves as program director and member of the leadership team supporting the BME PhD program. As a program director, she works collaboratively with the leadership team to support the BME PhD program’s quality during its entire life cycle, from admissions to graduation.
Prior to joining Hopkins, she was the program director of the MSc Biobased Materials, MSc Systems Biology and MSc Imaging Engineering portfolios at the Faculty of Science and Engineering, Maastricht University, The Netherlands.
Her research focuses on microbiology (microbiome; development of sensors) and STEM education. In particular, the development and validation of education instruments and tools for assessment, curriculum alignment and program development.
- Senior Lecturer, Biomedical Engineering
- Program Director, Biomedical Engineering PhD Program
- Postdoctoral training in RNA Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 2008-2011
- PhD, Biology, Universidad Nacional de Rio Cuarto (Argentina), 2008
- BSc, Microbiology Universidad Nacional de Rio Cuarto (Argentina), 2003