The Faculty Content Type is used for creating a directory of profiles for faculty members.
The Faculty Content Types are displayed in the following areas:
- Faculty Archive Page
- Faculty Detail Pages
- Faculty Profile Page Component
- News Detail – lists faculty members that are tagged with the news item.
Faculty can be tagged with the following Taxonomies (Taxonomies marked with an asterick * are filterable on the archive page):
- Faculty Role – the position that a faculty member fulfills, such as Professor or Research Associate.
- Research Areas* – an area of research the faculty member is associated with, such as Neuroscience or Systems Biology.
- Affiliated Center* – a center or institute that the faculty member is associated with. Each Affiliated Center should have a URL that links to the center’s website.
- Faculty Type* – refers to the role the Faculty member fulfills, such as Teaching or Research.
Note: members of the Tsinghua Faculty do not show up in the archive page unless Tsinghua Faculty is explicitly set as the filter.
Adding New Taxonomy Types
You can add a new category to the existing taxonomies by first clicking on Faculty and selecting the desired taxonomy from the expanded area / flyover menu. On the taxonomy page, you can use the fields on the left to create a new category.
Alternatively, you can quick add a taxonomy using the Taxonomy box in the right hand sidebar menu on the edit page of any Faculty Profiles.
Note: When adding a new Affiliated Center, there is an additional field to set a URL for the center.
Creating and Editing Faculty
- Click on “Faculty” in the left sidebar of the admin page.
- To edit an existing faculty, click on “All Faculty” to see and select the faculty profile you wish to modify.
- To add a new faculty, click on “Add Faculty”. You can also add new faculty using the top navigation bar in the top under the “New” button.
- Enter information into the fields
- Display Name: the name that will actually be displayed on the site.
- First Name: match this to the display name, used for sorting (Required)
- Last Name: match this to the display name, used for sorting (Required)
- Email (Required)
- Office Phone (Required)
- Cell Phone
- Room Location
- Quote: Quote text. The Faculty name will display underneath this quote.
- Quote Title: this is text that will display beneath the name under the Quote.
- Lab Website: Select URL
- Publication URL: A link to PubMed or Google Scholar. Click the ‘Add Row’ button to add a new publication URL. Then you can select a link using the ‘Select Link’ button and use the drop down to set the link icon.
- Education: WYSIWYG Editor, will display as a tab.
- Research Interests: WYSIWYG Editor, will display as a tab.
- Media: WYSIWYG Editor, will display as a tab.
- Publications: WYSIWYG Editor, will display as a tab.
- Featured News Article: The media tab will pull all news article that are tagged with the faculty member. You can use this section to select a single one of those article to feature. The selected article which feature more largely and prominently. If left empty, the most recent article will display instead.
- Tag the Faculty with Taxonomies.
- In the right sidebar section, you can find boxes to select which Faculty Role, Research Area, Affiliated Center, and Faculty Type to tag the Faculty member with.
- You can also use these boxes to quick add a taxonomy.
- Note that Affiliated Centers should have a URL associated with it, which can only be set in the Affiliated Centers Taxonomy page.
- Set the profile image for the Faculty in the Profile Image box beneath the Taxonomy boxes.